Saturday, December 17, 2011

Rudolph the Red (555 Timer based LED) Nosed Reindeer

It is Sat. afternoon, mom is in Kentucky visiting family and I have the girls....... what should we do? A 555 timer based Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer of course!

I grabbed some scrap double sided PCB material and cut out a cookie cutter like reindeer shape. Then I had my 4-year old daughter sand the edges and buff the surface with some steel wool.

We then soldered the 1Hz Astable 555-Timer circuit dead bug style (with a lot of Daddy supervision). My girls were pretty pumped to see the nose blink when we turned on the power supply for the first time.
I then soldered on a 9V battery clip, so the battery acts as the stand.


We had a fun afternoon without mommy.... maybe my nerdyness will rub off on them and I'll have two very pretty engineer daughters!

1 comment: